W. G. (Bill) Hefner VA Medical Center - Salisbury, NC
VA Medical Foster Home Program
Medical Foster Home Information for Veterans:
- Medical Foster Home gives Veterans an alternative to nursing home or assisted living care.
- There are no shift changes with different caregivers coming in and out.
- Veterans live in a nice home in a safe community.
- There is no waiting for medicines or help. The caregiver is there to help when you need it.
- Veterans can meet the caregiver and choose the home they want to live in.
- Personal care, room and board with one-to-one attention with a loving family is provided.
Living in a Medical Foster Home - The benefits:
- Private or semi-private rooms.
- 24-hour supervision and care.
- Flexibility in daily routine.
- Three meals and snacks each day. Veterans choose what they want to eat.
- Help with taking medicines.
- Transportation to appointments with no waiting for rides.
- Individualized socialization and recreation opportunities.
- An affordable option to assisted living or nursing home.
- No need to apply for Medicaid or spend down.
- Veterans receive VA care in the home through the Home Based Primary Care Team. This team includes a nurse practitioner, nurse, social worker, dietician, psychologist and rehab specialist.
- Veterans pay from their own funds.
- Veterans pay the caregiver a monthly fee for the care, room and board.
- Veteran and the caregiver agree on the monthly fee.
Help for the caregiver:
- Training at least once a year.
- Instruction on patient care from the Medical Foster Home and Home Based Primary Care Teams.
Medical Foster Home Caregivers must:
- Be at least 21 years old and financially stable.
- Complete a VA application for Medical Foster Home Program.
- Help plan and follow treatment plan with Veteran and the home care team.
- Have a written crisis plan for emergencies.
- Receive on-going training.
- Care for only 1-3 Veterans in the home.
- Agree to have a background check and give at least three personal references.
- Agree to have home inspected by the VA Fire and Safety Officer and Medical Foster Home staff.
- Either own or rent the home.
- Live in the home.
- Physically be able to provide the needed care.
1601 Brenner Ave.
Salisbury, NC 28144
- 704-639-2370 Ext. 8657