Geriatrics & Extended Care - About the Program
The Geriatrics and Extended Care (G&EC) Program at Hefner VAMC provides care and support to veterans and their families with a goal of maximizing function and independence. An interdisciplinary team – comprised of registered nurses, nurse practitioners, social workers, nutritionists, clinical pharmacists, occupational and physical therapists, psychologists, and physicians – work together with the veteran to determine goals and needs.
GE&C has four specialized programs:
- Community Living Center (CLC)
- Home and Community Based Care (HCBC)
- Home Based Primary Care (HBPC)
- Geriatric Consult Clinic
Guide to Long Term Care – Learn about home and community based services and residential care settings at VA and in the community. Find guidelines and tools to assist you in making collaborative long term choices which emphasize your needs and preferences.
Community Living Center (CLC) services include:
- Short term rehabilitation (wound care, occupational therapy, kinesiotherapy, physical therapy, speech therapy, skilled nursing, and restorative care)
- Long term maintenance (skilled nursing, dementia, psychiatric, and maintenance care)
- Respite care
- Palliative & Hospice Care
How Can Palliative Care Help?
- Symptom Management prior to returning to the community
- Communication, education and support to veteran patients and their families
- Psychosocial and spiritual support for patients and their families
- Continuity and coordination of care
- Education and emotional support for staff
- Respite care for veterans currently enrolled in community based hospice
- VA Hospice Inpatient Admission priority is given to those veterans with a life expectancy of two to four weeks and can extend to three months or less.
Questions? Hospice Point of Contact:
For information on Hefner VAMC's Hospice & Palliative Care Program, please contact Lynn Mullis, Interim Program Coordinator at 704-647-5804, or 704-638-9000, ext. 4128, or email Lynne.firstname.lastname@example.org.
Home and Community Based Care
This programs consists of a range of services that promote and manage care in veterans' homes and other community settings. Services include:
- Skilled Home Health (including infusion)
- Contract Adult Day Health Care
- Community Nursing Home Care
- Homemaker/ Home Health Aid
- Respite Care (Inpatient or In-Home)
- Hospice Care (Inpatient or In-Home)
- Bowel and Bladder Care (In-Home)
Home Based Primary Care (HBPC)
Home Based Primary Care (HBPC) provides intensive case management to patients with chronic high risk medical conditions who have frequent admissions to acute care or visits to the Emergency Department. The interdisciplinary team strives to reduce the need for unplanned medical interventions.
Geriatric Consult Clinic
The Geriatric Consult Clinic is an oupatient-based clinic where veterans can be evaluated by an interdisciplinary team that specializes in the needs of older adults.
Geriatrics and Extended Care at the VAMC in Salisbury is pleased to serve as an educational site for students of medicine, pharmacy, psychology, social work, nutrition, recreation therapy and nursing.