About the Program
Women who have served in the Armed Forces are eligible for a variety of veterans benefits. VA actively encourages women to utilize the benefits due them.
The Hefner VAMC Women's Health Program targets programs and facilities to meet the unique needs of female veterans.
The following services are provided in the Women’s Clinic at Hefner VAMC:
Gender specific issues
- Menopause and Osteoporosis
- Diseases of the reproductive organ and breasts, including cancers
- Management of abnormal pap smears
- Management of abnormal mammograms
- Diagnosis and treatment of urinary incontinence
- Infertility diagnosis & treatment
- Abnormal uterine bleeding
- All pelvic ultrasounds for female veterans
- Annual exams
- Cervical cancer screening
- Referral for bone mineral density test
Prenatal care is not provided, but is “fee based out” to community OB/Gyns at the VA’s expense.
GYN surgery provided at the Salisbury facility.
Gynecologic consultative and surgical services are provided to women veterans from Fayetteville and Asheville VAMC.
- Sexual trauma counseling
- Substance abuse treatment
- Evaluation and treatment for post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Programs for homeless women veterans
- Programs for victims of domestic violence
- Vocational rehabilitation programs
Staff currently includes a board certified gynecologist and a physician assistant with extensive experience in women’s health, two nurses, a program support assistant, and a program manager.
Patients will be referred to other VA facilities or to the community for any service not available at Hefner VAMC in Salisbury.
Mental health services, including treatment for post traumatic stress disorder, and sexual trauma counseling are also available for women. Treatment for substance abuse is available as well.
Women's Comprehensive Care is now being offered at the Community Based Outpatient Clinics (CBOCs). Comprehensive Care allows the female Veteran the opportunity to receive her primary care and her gender-specific care from one provider. If you are interested in finding out more about the Women's Clinic or Comprehensive Care at one of the CBOCs, please contact the Women Veterans Program Manager.
We would be pleased to welcome you as a new member of the Well Women’s Clinic. It is our desire to address your special needs as a woman veteran in a location that is sensitive to your privacy.
For additional information please contact the clinic at 704-638-4398.
Women Veterans Program Manager - Penny Greer-Link (phone: 704-638-9000 ext 4949)