W. G. (Bill) Hefner VA Medical Center - Salisbury, NC
Patient education is an important part of recovery from any illness. To help keep you healthy, the Medical Center offers a variety of programs for patients, such as classes in diabetes, nutrition, wellness, and support groups. Please ask a member of your health care team for more information about our classes and educational materials.
The Patients' Library is open to all patients and their family members, employees, and volunteers. The library has a large collection of books, journals, newspapers, videotapes, audiocassettes, and patient education resources. Library materials are delivered to the wards once per week. Books can be delivered to your room upon request.
Patient health information can also be found in the library. The librarian can help you search health-related topics or prepare a personalized health information packet for you. Computers with Internet access are available for checking email, writing resumes, playing video games, or searching topics of interest.
The Patients' Library is located in Building 6, Room 1017. The library is open from 8:00am to 4:30pm Monday thru Friday. Call (704) 638-3404 to request reading materials or information.
The My HealtheVet site provides veterans and their families excellent, reliable patient education information as well as the latest VA News. Through this website, you can access over 18 million pages of medical information on a variety of topics. Information about veterans' benefits and services is also available. The website is being developed in parts, with approximately two major releases per year.
Upon registering with My HealtheVet, you will be able to â€”
- refill prescriptions online
- keep personal food and activity journals
- monitor your personal health data, such as blood pressure and pain levels
- maintain your own self-entered personal health record
Future My HealtheVet releases will allow you to -
- View your appointment schedule
- View your co-payment balance
- View parts of your Medical Record
- Give access to all or some of your health information to others - such as VA doctors, family members, or veterans' advocates.
Our staff provide ongoing health education during your clinic visits. Some of the topics that you can inquire about include:
- Health promotion
- Upcoming tests and procedures
Staff can tell you about upcoming education classes that are available.
Our staff will begin the patient education process at the time of admission, during the hospital stay, and at discharge. Our goal is to provide a hospital environment where you â€”
- continually receive updated health information
- are able to ask questions about your health
- can enjoy as comfortably as possible their stay in our facility
Closed Circuit Television (CCTV)
Patient health education films are shown on Channel 21 seven days per week throughout the Medical Center. Schedules are located at the Patients' Library or at the Nurses' Station on each ward. Ask the staff for further information on how to access the system.